Sex and the City fans will remember the episode where Carrie finds the hideous engagement ring Aidan has hidden. You don’t want that to happen to you! So here’s a few easy steps for guys and gals to find out just what kind of engagement ring their intended would really like.
1. Rope in one of her mates. And by mates I don’t mean your mum or her jealous pal. True friends know their friends tastes and should be relied upon (unless said mate is pregnant in which case steer clear).
2. Ask her for advice under the ruse that your ‘fictional mate at work’ who she has never met is going to propose and you’ve been talking about rings. Take note of what she likes. Don’t pretend it is someone real because she will tell his girlfriend that there is a proposal in the offing and the resulting scenario will see you get the blame.
3. Leave jewellery magazines lieing around. You’ll probably come home to find one or several ringed off as a big fat hint.
4. For diamonds, remember the 4 C’s – Cut, Clarity, Colour, Carat. Value increases with size and perfection. If she is ethically conscious, consider going for conflict free diamonds which are every bit as stunning as any other diamonds but are ethically sourced.
5. Spend as much as you can afford. This ring should last so don’t cut corners if you can. Buy from a reputable dealer, not a pawn shop or eBay. You can upgrade later if you must.
5. Present her with a ‘token’ ring. Something sweet or even silly with a promise to take her shopping for a ring she loves later. After all when all else fails, it’s a doddle to get her to do the picking!