Readers, after 100 dresses of the foulest order, it should come as no suprise to you that there will be some true horrors waiting for you as you take those first steps towards finding The One. No, not him, the dress. So, I’ve put together a little 101 for you, with some of our ‘unfavourites’ of the past two years in the hope that your style can be saved and you don’t have to look back with regret.
1. Looking to the catwalk for inspiration? You might want to think again after eyeing some creations by fashion luminaries
The rules: Let the catwalk inspire you but don’t even think about wearing these creations. If they make the models look bad, it isn’t a good sign.
2. Want the fairytale? Your inner six year old may love the idea of a big A-line ballgown but in reality you need to stay away from these big skirted numbers.
The rules: Go big if you want, but don’t go crazy. You need to be able to move.
3. Want to do something different? We’re all for it, but different shouldn’t mean nutso.
The rules: Colour is cool, but make sure it’s a beautiful shade. Fancy dress just isn’t appropriate. And do consider the silhouette, some dresses are not going to flatter no matter what you do – bubble skirts, anyone?
4. Consider where you’re getting married? Whether it’s a hot destination wedding or a church ceremony, you need to have some thought to what is required.
The rules: Go stylish not scary. Never wear a bikni but don’t go buttoned up from head to toe!
5. Raising hems, not eyes. Short dresses are rising in popularity and there are some great styles but beware of flashing too much leg and consider your accessories.
The Rules: Pencil skirts and retro 50s styles are the coolest looks. Bobby socks and mountains of knee length tulle should be avoided.
We want your top tips for aviding fashion disaster too – just leave a comment below!